Psoriasis is a common, chronic, non-contagious relapsing/remitting skin condition. Normally, skin growth is slow and takes about a month to flake off. With psoriasis however, this process can happen in just few days causing the skin to develop thick, red lesions with white/silver scales that are often itchy and painful. The skin lesions seen in psoriasis may vary in severity from minor localized patches to complete body coverage.
It is more common in women than men and with fair skinned than dark skinned people.
- Plaque Psoriasis or psoriasis vulgaris: considered to be most common, and is characterized by small, red patches that grow in size become irritated and scaly
- Scalp Psoriasis: Effects about 50% of psoriasis sufferers
- Nail Psoriasis: Causes deformation in size, shape, and depth of the toenail. The nail may fall of from the nail bed
- Guttate Psoriasis: characterized by small, red, areas that rapidly grow in size and possibly become scaly. They usually appear in the arms, legs, and stomach or scalp
- Pustular Psoriasis: adults are the most effected of this condition. The type causes blistery areas containing non-infectious pus and surrounded by red skin.
- Inverse Psoriasis: Inverse psoriasis occurs in the region of armpits, groin, or under the breasts. This type is characterized by smooth, irritated areas
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis: Characterized by large scaling, itching, and pain. It affects most of the body chemical equilibrium and can cause other sever side effects
Though it is still unknown as to why psoriasis develops, it is generally believed to be an autoimmune disorder in which the body mistakenly attacks healthy cells. A number of studies have shown that genetic predisposition coupled with environmental factors contribute to the development of this skin disease.
Stress, cold weather, injury to the skin, upper body infections, excessive alcohol consumption and smoking are some the environmental triggers for psoriasis. The disease affects 2 4% of the general population and is found equally among different ethnic, racial and gender groups.
One of the most effective treatments for psoriasis is Coriodermina, a topical, water soluble gel developed from the human placenta by Dr. Carlos Miyares Cao, with a success rate of 84.6% of complete clearing of lesions; 8.5% of marked improvement; 5% of minimum improvement and 1.9% of no improvement.
The success of Coriodemina is owing to the fact that it works by inhibiting and regulating the speed of the epidermic cells and by neutralizing cytokines and neuropeptides (molecules responsible for cell communication). Coriodemina is applied directly to the psoriatic lesions and is then absorbed by the dermal level (the middle layer of skin that acts as first defence against heat, light, infections and injuries) . The effectiveness of Coriodemina depends on the age of the patient; the percentage of affected area; the length of time the patient has been suffering from psoriasis and the correct application of the treatment. Coriodemina is innocuous and can be used to treat children, pregnant or nursing women and the elderly with no side effects.
To receive treatment for Psoriasis in Cuba consultation with a specialist must first be made who will then determine the length of treatment and the number of bottles of the therapeutic product to be used.
Our experts recommend the suspension of all skin treatments 45 days before the arrival to Cuba.
Please note that the medication is not sold without an evaluation of a specialist and without prescription from a qualified doctor.
- General Conference on this condition.
- Specialized medical consultations.
- Daily treatment with diagnostic tests (4 days hospitalization)
- 1 treatment session for training with diagnostic tests (4 days hospitalization)
- Daily treatment without diagnostic tests (2 days hospitalization)
- 1 treatment session for training without diagnostic tests (2 days hospitalization)
Cuban dermatology specialists recommend the suspension all skin treatments 45 days before the arrival to Cuba. The number of sessions of treatment will be determined by the specialists at the time of personalizing the program. If you dont have the result of skin biopsy, then it will be done at the clinic for an additional nominal fee.
Private room with the following features:
- Three à la carte meals taking into account the patients preferences and / or special diets prescribed by physician
- Fully equipped private bathroom
- Infirmary and nursing care
- Colour TV with national and international channels
- Local and international phone services (extra cost will apply)
- Safe box
- Internet service on every floor
- Laundry services
ADDITIONAL SERVICES INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM:
- Assistance in visa issuance and extension (If needs be)
- Each patient/ companion will be assigned a multi-lingual field member with the mandate of attending to all of our patients translation and personal needs;
- 20 hours internet service;
- Local airport pickup and drop off; and
- Hospital pickup and drop off (if needed)